(SIOUX LOOKOUT, ON.) January 18, 2019 – Today, the Honourable Bob Nault, Member of Parliament (Kenora riding) released the following statement on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor, announced a federal investment of $67,500.
“This federal investment with the Municipality of Sioux Lookout helps local businesses and residents develop a new and effective tourism strategy to boost the economy and create jobs in the community and throughout the region,” stated Nault. “Tourism continues to grow in the North and this investment will assist municipal and business leaders in their decision-making process as they diversify their local economic base.”
The FedNor funding will enable the municipality to hire a consultant to prepare a detailed inventory of existing infrastructure, products and services, and provide a plan for the development of new sports tourism programming. The community will work with key partners and stakeholders throughout the process, including the Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority, Lac Seul First Nation, and the many Sioux Lookout sports and recreation clubs.
Once completed, the strategy is expected to create a supportive environment for new and existing sports events that will drive economic growth in Sioux Lookout through job creation and the improvement of local services.
“We know that sport plays an important role, not only in the health of Northerners, but also in enriching the fabric of our communities,” concluded Nault. “The funding announced today will help the community of Sioux Lookout prepare a strategy that will help boost sports tourism across the region.”
“Sports tourism is a major economic driver in many communities across our nation and I am proud that our government is investing to support communities in their efforts to capitalize on the growth of this important sector. Today’s announcement helps to highlight our commitment to sustainable community economic development, business growth and job creation.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
“Sioux Lookout has a strong history of hosting successful sporting events and providing sporting venues for our neighbouring Far North communities. Thanks to FedNor’s support, we will now be able to engage our many partners and stakeholders to develop a strategy that will guide in the development and promotion of new sports tourism products and services, and help us grow and diversify our economy.”
- Doug Lawrance, Mayor of the Municipality of Sioux Lookout
- This project helps to deliver on key priorities of the Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario, which outlines the Government of Canada’s approach to ensure the region can fully benefit from the national Innovation and Skills Plan.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program, which supports projects that promote sustainable community economic development, enhance business development and growth, and facilitate innovation.
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: gc.ca
To arrange an interview with the Hon. Robert Nault, please contact:
|Ottawa office:||Kenora office:|
|(613) 996-1161||(807) 468-2170|