(SIOUX LOOKOUT, ON.) January 22, 2019 – Today, the Honourable Bob Nault, Member of Parliament (Kenora riding), on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor, announced a federal investment of nearly $287,000 and joined in the grand opening of the Sioux Lookout Airport.
“Today’s announcement of $287,000 in additional funds will enable the community to attract businesses and enhance the quality of life of its residents and those of neighbouring communities that rely on the Sioux Lookout Regional Airport,” stated Nault. “The newly renovated airport and the recent upgrades represent a new growth avenue for Sioux Lookout which will certainly help attract more visitors and businesses to the region.”
The FedNor funding announced today will enable the municipality to expand the airport’s commercial and essential services areas, enhancing its capacity to meet passenger travel needs, and providing new commercial spaces for potential business tenants. Once completed, the enhanced areas will feature a quiet lounge and triage area for elders and medical passengers of the Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority (SLFNA), two car rental service spaces, three concession areas, a restaurant, and an 11-metre marketing wall to advertise and promote the community and local businesses.
“This airport is one of the hubs of the North, and the upgrades made possible by today’s investment will help improve passenger safety, create new job opportunities, and assist the airport in continuing to provide critical services to the region,” concluded Nault. “I look forward to the continued growth to businesses and commercial activity that this investment will bring to Sioux Lookout.”
“The Sioux Lookout Regional Airport provides critical transportation services for many Far North communities. Thanks to FedNor’s support, we will continue to work closely with our northern neighbours in an effort to continue to provide these communities with the services they require, while also seeking opportunities to enhance commercial activity at the airport as a means to grow our economy and further cement our position as the hub of the north.”
- Doug Lawrance, Mayor of the Municipality of Sioux Lookout
- This project helps to deliver on key priorities of the Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario, which outlines the Government of Canada’s approach to ensure the region can fully benefit from the national Innovation and Skills Plan.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program, which supports projects that promote sustainable community economic development, enhance business development and growth, and facilitate innovation.
- In 2015, the Government of Canada also invested $4,200,000 in 2015 through the Small Communities to expand and upgrade the airport to help carriers, air ambulance operators, charters and aircraft maintenance businesses operate with more efficiency.
- The Province of Ontario contributed $4,200,000
- Sioux Lookout contributed the remainder of the costs
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: gc.ca
To arrange an interview with the Hon. Bob Nault, please contact:
|Ottawa office:||Kenora office:|
|(613) 996-1161||(807) 468-2170|